The following foods and medicines can create problems for your dog. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet has ingested any of the following foods.
- increased heart rate
- rapid breathing
- muscle tremors
It often surprises pet owners to discover that the drugs in chocolate is poisonous in sufficient dosages, particulary to dogs. Specifically it is the drugs Theo bromine and caffeine (of the drug class methylxanthines), that are toxic to pets. Only a moderate amount needs to be eaten by a dog, in order to be poisonous (approx. ½oz. of baking chocolate per pound of body weight and less in some animals).
It is also believed that dark or plain chocolate is more toxic than the milk or cooking chocolate variety.
Grapes and all grape products are being considered poisonous to dogs by United States Animal Poison Control
Onions should not be fed to dogs in any form.
This drug is used in rheumatoid arthritis. It is a slow release drug that acts over 3/4 days, causing massive internal bleeding in dogs. An anti-toxin and stomach flush must be used immediately by a vet in order to prevent permanent damage to internal organs.